- 2/3 cup (150ml) warm water (105 to 115°F)
- 1 packages of active dry yeast (1/4 oz/7g)
- 4 cups (565g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 8 oz (2 sticks or 225g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (400g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (236ml) buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup (145g) golden raisins
- 1/4 cup (35g) finely chopped dried cherries (use figs for the original recipe, or any dried fruit that you prefer)
For the glaze
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp whisky (or brandy)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Grease and flour a bundt pan.
Prepare the Election Cake Batter in a Stand Mixer
- Put warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer, then add the yeast, sprinkling it to cover the top. Sprinkle a pinch of sugar on top of the yeast and allow to stand for about 5 minutes.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and nutmeg, then set aside.
- If yeast has dissolved and is beginning to bubble, add the one cup of the flour mixture, stirring it in thoroughly. Add butter and mix well.
- Next, add sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla and mix until well combined. Add the eggs and mix until just combined.Finally, mix in the flour, reserving one tablespoon. Toss the raisins and cherries in tablespoon of flour and then fold them into the cake batter. Skip the bread machine instructions below and continue afterwards.
Prepare the Election Cake Batter in a Bread Machine
- Put the liquid ingredients into the bread machine pan: water, eggs, butter (make sure it's very soft-almost melted), buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Next, add the dry, making sure to add the yeast last: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg, brown sugar, golden raisins, and dried cherries (or figs), the pinch of sugar and yeast. Start the bread machine on the "DOUGH" setting.